Monday, March 3, 2014

Learning Portuguese by Yasmin Eubanks (age 15)




 
Portuguese Lessons: Yasmin (upper left corner), Kenetia (left corner) Ms. Saldana (upper right corner) and Karima (right corner)
 In Culture Keepers we have the amazing opportunity to learn Portuguese. This is an amazing opportunity because Portuguese is not offered Suitland High School, the school we attend. We have been studying Portuguese for about 3 months. I think it is important that we learn Portuguese because when we go to visit the Ambassadors in Brazil we can fully experience their culture as well as their language.
            Learning Portuguese has been difficult for me because it is unlike any language I have learned. I have taken Spanish in school since the sixth grade, but comparing Portuguese and Spanish does not help, as I have figured out. Portuguese does not have the same pronunciation as Spanish or English, which makes it even more difficult. However, learning Portuguese is pretty fun because it is different and we can see our other club members learning the language[T1] .
            Having someone who knows Portuguese fluently helps a lot when learning it. Ms. Saldana is our Portuguese teacher and she speaks the language. This helps me because when I need to know a word I can ask Ms. Saldana and she can give me an answer. She also helps us with pronunciation, so we don’t look crazy trying to speak Portuguese.  
           I think learning Portuguese can be very educational and it is a skill that we can use in the future. For example, if we were ever to go back to Brazil without our Portuguese teacher we will be able to communicate with the people and have a good time. I am excited to learning more the rest of the year and go to Brazil to  test out all the Portuguese I learned in Culture Keepers.
-Yasmin Eubanks, 15