Monday, March 3, 2014

Learning about the African Diaspora by Bryanna Rather (age 16)



Early Settlers in North Brentwood, Maryland (Prince George's County)

 Did you know that when Africans first arrived to Maryland they came as indentured servants? In December we had a guest speaker by the name of Dr. Arvenita Washington, who came in and discussed the term Diaspora and the events that took place after the “African Diaspora ” (specifically  the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade"). From her, I learned that instead of being considered “slaves” they were considered “indentured servants”. Africans were not the only “indentured servants”, but also Irish people.

Dr. Washington’s first question to us was “Do you know what the term Diaspora means?”. Everyone replied with their different interpretations of this term after referring back to our umbrella theme for this year; which is the African Diaspora, with different versions of; “it’s the slave trade” and ‘it’s the journey of the Africans to America by way of the slave trade.” When she clicked to her next slide and we read her definition, “The movement, scattering or dispersal of people (either by force or voluntary) from an ancestral homeland,” she was surprised to know that we had already knew so much about that part of her presentation.
  
My first year as a Culture Keeper, we learned about the 4 first Black townships in Prince Georges County; Eagle Harbor, North Brentwood, Fairmont Heights and Glenarden. While learning about these townships we discussed the beginning of Prince Georges County and the heavy influences of African American role models, during this time, that were trying to do find a place they called ‘home’. During Dr. Washington’s presentation she reminded me of the even deeper history about these townships and these role models in Prince Georges and explained the who, the what, the hows and whyof this history . I remembered that Prince Georges County was established in  1696 and populated nearly 50% of the county by the middle of the 18th century. It was great to fill in the holes of either buried information or available space for new information.

I felt super smart after leaving. Before leaving we were assigned a homework assignement  to go home and ask our relatives about our ancestry. I went home and had this really long history lesson with my grandparents about what I learned and my ancestors during that time period. I asked my Grandmother how far she could date back our ancestry on her side of the family. She told me how she grew up in Nottaway County,Virginia practically all of her life and how she, unlike my Grandfather, had not attended an all-Black school. The furthest ancestor she could think of at the time was my 

Great Great Grandfather who was born on September 8th, 1898. He worked on the Norfolk and Western Railroad, had 15 children and could not read or write. I asked my Grandfather the same question and he told me about my Great- Great-Great-Great Grandmother whom of which’s birthday year was not recorded but known to be in sometime in the mid-late 1800’s on April 4th. She was a housewife, nicknamed “Big Ma”, who birthed 7 children one of which was my grandfather’s great grandfathers dad, or my Great-Great Grandfather’s father. My Grandfather told me how my Great-Great-Great-Great Grandmother was very quiet but known for keeping the family together. She was married to my Great-Great-Great-Great Grandfather Rev. J Bruce Rather who was a pastor his entire life. He never owned his own church but was very well-known. He was regarded as one of the best pastors in Nottoway County and Dinwiddy County for his sermons which he gave at four different churches within the two counties.

It was interesting to learn all of these interesting things about my family and the ancestry of Black people as a whole. In school we do Family tree’s and discuss the Reconstruction period and the Harlem Renaissance but we never really go that far back as to what events led up to prosperous African Americans we know today. I love learning new things and I absolutely enjoyed the presentation Dr. Washington gave us. It was interesting to hear how the events in Prince Georges County like the creation of these townships were similar to the ones my so many great Grandparents in Virginia witnessed being established in Virginia, Maryland’s neighbor.